Hi quest ,  welcome  |  sign in  |  registered now  |  need help ?

Welcome, is an honor if you feel comforted by a visit on this site. Thank you.

McLaren's Jenson Button 'can still win F1 title'

Written By andy on Monday, June 20, 2011 | 2:40 AM


McLaren's Jenson Button believes his Canadian Grand Prix victory proves the team still have what it takes to contend for this year's world title.Button, who beat Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel in Montreal, said: "We've proved we can challenge and beat Vettel and we know we can fight for the world title."

Meanwhile, team-mate Lewis Hamilton has vowed to retain his attacking style at the forthcoming European Grand Prix.

"I've always gone well at Valencia and I enjoy attacking the track," he said.

The Canadian Grand Prix brought mixed fortunes for the two McLaren drivers, with Button handing world champion Vettel only his second defeat of the season, while Hamilton was forced to retire after tangling with his team-mate.

It has been a difficult season for McLaren, who have struggled to match rivals Red Bull in qualifying, although the Woking-based outfit have been much closer in terms of race pace in the last three grands prix.

Hamilton ran Vettel close in Spain while Button was on course for victory in Monaco before slipping down the order in the closing stages of the race.

In Canada last weekend 31-year-old Button pressurised championship leader Vettel into a mistake on the last lap at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve to secure his first win of the season.
The result has boosted Button's confidence ahead of the European Grand Prix in Valencia on 26 June.

"I wouldn't say that winning in Montreal has given me extra motivation, because I was already totally committed, but I think it will help to sharpen the focus and conviction of everyone in the team," said the 2009 world champion.

"I'm looking forward to Valencia. I had a good race there last year and I think the track shares some of the characteristics of Montreal and Monaco, so I'm confident that we'll be competitive again."

Hamilton has been involved in four separate incidents over the last two races and admits he should have produced better results in Monaco and Canada.

"Those two races were particularly frustrating for me because we showed we had the pace to win both of them, yet I only came away with eight points," said the 26-year-old.
Jenson Button

"For me, Valencia will be a weekend of consolidation after two disappointing results in Monaco and Canada.

"We've arguably had the fastest race car in the last three races, and that's really encouraging because I know that, when it's put to best use, I should be able to finish at the front."

Button currently lies second in the drivers' championship, 60 points behind leader Vettel, with Hamilton a further 16 points behind in fourth.


No comments:

Post a Comment